Sunday, June 29, 2008

Times Up - I'm entering The Hospital Today

Hi All,

Just thought I'd give you an update. When I first thought about this pregnancy the Doctor had informed me about all of the risks, situations, and potentials for completing this pregnancy. He first thought I would need a lot of medical advice and attention immediately to determine how to proceed especially since 14 weeks had gone by without knowing about all four. It seemed like a dream then. I realize now how lucky I am to have carried all 4 of them without losing anyone within that 14 weeks, especially since I was lifting, playing, exercising, working (a.k.a being a normal mom) prior to finding out ........... I recall now that I think I went sledding at Art Hill before truly finding out that we were pregnant/or did right after with a Home Pregnancy Test.
As Dr. Bartelsmeyer explained the risks, my mind started processing the hurdles I needed to overcome to get to a successful delivery. I was instructed to quit working, have my cervix sutured closed, start bed rest immediately, and discuss genetic testing/selective reduction/amniocentesis. All of this, plus inform Chris of discovering the fourth baby today by myself.
He went on to talk about how my life this year would go.... Each month would bring new challenges....
April - Quit my job tomorrow and go on modified bed rest, no lifting you kids & oh don't forget the cerclauge which has to be done immediately (your 14 weeks it's usually done at 10 weeks to 14 weeks) - meaning Thursday - it was Tuesday Morning as he was explaining all of this (not to mention Jason's 4 birthday was Thursday and I would be in St. John's for 2 days). Looking back this was an easy month.
May - I needed to find someone to take care of my children daily till delivery (that's all summer), cut back financially due to loss of my income, have my first big ultrasound to determine 60% of potential issues we may face with these children, Amniocentesis (not possible thank God) & genetically discuss other unknowns of just our health history and what premature multiple complications may occur. Talk about a scary month, but this is where my Dad comes in ...... I knew he was watching over all of us, that he had discussed with God I could handle having multiples, but not medical issues on top of raising 6 children under 5. My Dad has known these children a lot longer than I have and has protected us from undue worry. I thank him everyday for that.
June - HOSPITALIZATION enough said, but 26 weeks = viability of all children to 85-95%, and plenty of new experiences to endure. I was to be admitted the first week of June, instead I was admitted ironically on the same day I turned 26 weeks - June 24Th.( man I waited forever for this day to come only to be sad again). As for Dr. Bartelsmeyer schedule, things will change daily once we have you hospitalized so I will be writing more about what is, hopefully isn't happening.

So for this week...............................

I entered St. John's at 11 a.m. Tuesday. To my surprise the nurse was a friend of mine from Barnes nursing school. We had a good morning then the explanation of my restrictions were discussed. I can rest in my bed or chair, have visitors, use room service to order food, do activities like creative memories, email, read, etc., but I am limited to my room unless I would like to take my wheelchair ride to anywhere inside/outdoors of the hospital for 30-45 minutes.

My schedule of procedures has been glucose tolerance test for diabetes, the Toco machine for 1 hour twice a day (to evaluate contractions), weigh in on Wednesdays, heart tones checked on Thursday and Monday and weekly cervical checks. As things change so will my restrictions and tests.
As for these tests - I failed the glucose tolerance 1 hour test by 30 points and had to take the 3 hour one today - I feel sick all over again, Hopefully I will pass today. I've had 3 Toco evaluations and may have had 1 contraction so far. My blood pressure has been rock solid 112/68 per usual. No swelling and hopefully I'll get measurements on the babies today.

As for the highlight of the week ( I can't believe I'm telling all of you this)-but I took a shower and was resting on the bench in the shower area. It felt like it was giving/kind of loose. To my surprise it broke away from the wall while I was sitting on it. Luckily I had shower shoes on and stood up as fast as I could - no harm to me thank God!!! ( That's all I needed .... spend my first day in labor due to taking a shower.) So I finished up, got dressed and called the nurse. Her Eyes were so wide she scared me .........she said I am the smallest pregnant lady on the floor right now & that they should hold up to 400lbs. I am getting extra special treatment. (2 wheelchair rides a day) They even gave me gift certificates for the cafe and gift shop. I told them that wasn't necessary, but oh well I'll enjoy the rides and look to purchase something for the Quads later.