Sunday, August 17, 2008

08/08/08 - How lucky are We !!!

Hey All,

I would like to share with all of you our good news -The Schwartz Quads were born on 8/8/08.

Crazy as it seems the delivery date was originally scheduled for August 7th, 2008 @ noon, but Dr. Bartelsmeyer felt that I should push to go longer since all of the babies had plenty of fluid around them and I wasn't preeclamptic, and my pre-term labor pains seemed to be settling down because of strict bed rest.
So my husband and I met with him to discuss delivery vs. another date so.............. we moved the date back 5 days to August 12th ....... I thought it was attainable ............. looking back I was so done physically and mentally, but when your told your outcomes for the babies would be better what's a woman to do?

So instead of me deciding the babies and my uterus did.

On August 7th, at 8 p.m. I started to have contractions in an irregular pattern. They increased in intensity and duration, but the nurse and I realized my procardia was not taken and was due an hour ago - usually that quieted them down and eventually stopped or slowed them. Well this night they became regular over the next hour and more continuous to the point of needing to call Chris my husband into the hospital.

He had just left 2 hours ago with the kids and needed to arrange things for them. So he arrived at 10:40 and Dr. Webb proceeded to tell us we were going to have a birthday party tonight.

Thank God he (Dr. Webb) is easy going like me. It was happening so quickly I felt like I was the only calm one preparing me for delivery. As I proceeded to give out instructions to my husband and uncle we wheeled down to 2nd floor- by bed uggh!! Soon I realized we were not coming back for more bed rest and it was going to be midnight soon. The nurses were teasing me that they might have different birth dates 8/7/08 & 8/8/08 - I really didn't contemplate their statements too much just in awe of that it was going to happen tonight.

Soon my IV, epidural and family were all there. They told me their well wishes and gave me hugs and kisses before I left for the OR. As I wheeled into the OR, 4 open beds for the babies were on my right with at least 20 nurses, therapists and a neonatologist were standing waiting for Dr. Webb to appear. At this time I was crying and asked the anesthesiologist to give me something to relax, in about a minute I was ready for bed. (Thank god for drugs!!!!!!) On the other side a surgical team of 6-8 nurses and residents were on the Left. Then Chris appeared in his yellow scrubs and we waited for Dr. Webb. When he arrived they all clapped and away we went. I looked up at the clock and my husband said, "Jill you did it you made your goal - it's 8/8/08."

I wanted to deliver on a Friday and get past 32 weeks edging me closer to 33. At the time 8/8/08 didn't mean much but just a date to get to - to prove to Dr. Bartelsmeyer I could make it past 30 weeks and give Chris time off without taking much vacation time, but the biggest factor was to have their lungs healthy and developed. So 8/8/08 is lucky for me because that just what happened.

So Molly Joan and Kurt Thomas arrived at 12:47 and Meghan Kay and Cole James came at 12:48.I met them at 5 a.m. and have been watching them grow and get closer to home ever since. They are currently in the South Nicu and are off IV's, Breathing on their own, ultrasounds of their heads were negative, they are all early nippling at 33 weeks, have regained and surpassed birth weights and are working to control their temperature. Each one looks a little like both of my older boys but I don't believe they are identical. We won' t know till much later. I don't think they will be and I am glad for them to be different. It seems like this is still a dream but reality is approaching quickly.

As for the news, I thought it was nice and crazy at the same time. I was on heavy drugs and realistically was exhausted, but the news was looking for a nice feel good story of the day and I'm glad we were able to bring that to the St. Louis area. Chris and I were elated to share them with you all and look forward to getting our babies home soon.

For now I'm Glad to be home -Jill

P.S. the pictures are coming.................


MeMam said...

Jill! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am totally crying! It's just beautiful. You are an amazing woman and mother! Congratulations on your 4 new babies! I can't wait to meet them and see you!!

KSDallas said...

Thanks for the update. What a crazy time for you. I think you will love the 8-8-08 factor. My daughter's birthday is 9-9-95 and I love all the 9s.

Your kiddos had great birth weights. You did an amazing job. It is so great to hear how well they are all doing!


Andria said...

What a story. Congrats on your miracles and such excellent care you got anticipating the quads arrival.

Such blessings.

The Gall Family said...

We have been praying for you and your babies since early July and are glad to hear everyone is doing well! We had a friend have twins 8/8/08 there too and asked about you but was told they "didn't know anything". I wish we'd known! Congratulations!!! As a mom of multiples I know they will bring you such joy!!!! Enjoy your time to rest until they are home and love all over them - the time passes too quickly!! Our continued prayers and well wishes!
Amy Gall
Greater St. Louis MOTC

Anonymous said...

Congrats girl! You did great, and the story seems just like yesterday (and my quads are over 7 months, it flys by). You did great and your babies are AMAZING!! They are doing so well!! I cant believe it and they look SOO good!! Congrats!!

Lacy Justus said...

Congratulations!! Your babies are beautiful. I had my twins at the same hospital and everyone there was wonderful. God bless your beautiful family.


Ward and June said...


I just stumble across your blog and read your story and it is amazing. I just wanted to congratulate you on you on all of you beautiful children and hope that you are enjoying what must be a very hectic, yet rewarding, time in your life.